artist: Bertil Berntsson (Swedish 1921-2002)
dimensions: 23 x 44 cm image size (approx) / 42 1/2 x 65 1/2 cm framed size
signed and numbered 48/100
presented in a new hand finished timber frame with archival mat and UV non-reflective museum glass
AU $720 (approx US $530 / 460 EUROS / 60,500 yen / 395 GBP - for exact current conversion visit xe.com)
Bertil Berntsson was born on 1st January 1921 in Värö. He studied at the Konsthögskolan Valand between 1939 and 1940, the Skånska målarskolan in Malmö between 1945 and 1946 and then in Paris, in 1949, under the French artist André Lhote (1885-1962). Berntsson first exhibited in Varberg in 1939 and participated in numerous solo and group exhibitions in Stockholm, Malmö and Helsingborg beginning in 1947 and through the 1970s.
This painting is from the period in the mid 1950s when Berntsson’s work became increasingly structural and it continued further into the 1960s when his work became more abstract and minimal.
Berntsson's works are held in the public collections of the Moderna Museet in Stockholm, Malmö konstmuseum Ystad konstmuseum, Helsingborgs stadsmuseum, Halmstad Museum, Lund University's Collection and the Archive for Decorative Art in Lund.
Berntsson passed away in 2002, aged 81.